Message series: The Day God Died
The Death of Jesus
- What is the most memorable funeral/memorial/celebration of life service you have ever attended?
- What caught your attention from today’s message?
- Read John 19:1; Isaiah 52:14, and discuss the flogging of Jesus, as described in the message:
- Soldiers would strip the victim and tie their hands above their head
- Soldiers would whip the victim with a flagellum, that had several pieces of leather with bone and led near the ends
- Romans had no limits on how many times they would strike
- The whipping across the shoulders, back, legs, etc., would rip through the skin, and then tissues and muscle, leaving blood everywhere and skin hanging by ribbons. Victims of flogging did not always survive.
- Read Deuteronomy 21:22,23 and discuss the connection, then, to these quotes:
- Christianity is the only major religion to have as its central event the humiliation of its God
- The crucifixion is the central event in human history
- Read Matthew 27:32-54 and discuss the events surrounding the death of Jesus
- Discuss the following quotes:
- God is holy so He cannot overlook sin; He is just so sin must be punished; He is love so He wants to have a relationship with His created ones; only His righteousness can withstand His justice; and because He is wrathful, He will pour out judgment on sin
- John Piper: “The death of Jesus Christ was the only way that the wisdom of God could preserve the holiness of God, display the justice of God and share the righteousness of God, while displaying the love of God to those who deserve the wrath of God.”
- Discuss this quote by John Stott…
“Unless you see the cross as that which is done by you, you will never appreciate that it is done for you.”
- Read Acts 2:23,24; Romans 4:25, and discuss God’s plan in Jesus’s death and resurrection.