The Day God Died series
Message 4 – The Trials of Jesus
- Have you ever been involved in a court case in any way?
- What caught your attention from this message?
- Discuss the parts of Jesus’ trials where the law was followed closely and the parts that would be illegal today…
- Legal – they needed Rome’s approval to kill Jesus; they needed a charge against Jesus that would stick
- Illegal – nighttime trial; paying a betrayer; no formal charge; rushed, one day trial; intervention of the high priest; lack of a defense; unjustified verdict
- For the Jewish trial, Jesus goes before Annas (the former high priest) and Caiaphas (the current high priest and son-in-law to Annas)
- Read John 18:12,13,20-24
- Discuss Jesus’ time before Annas
- Read Matthew 26:60,61,65,66; Mark 14:55,56,59-62,65
- Discuss the witnesses, their testimony and the high priest’s response
- For the Roman trial, Jesus appears to Pilate the first time
- Read and discuss Matthew 27:1,2; Luke 23:2; John 18:29-31
- Read and discuss Matthew 27:11-14
- Read and discuss Matthew 27:18,19; Luke 23:4-7
- Read Luke 23:8-12 and discuss Herod’s desire and discussion with Jesus
- Jesus went to Pilate a second and final time
- Read Mark 15:12-14; John 19:1,4-13; Matthew 27:24,25; John 19:16
- Discuss Pilate’s interaction with Jesus, the religious leaders and the crowd
- What is your verdict?
- Read John 3:36; Romans 10:9,10
- Is this a decision you have already made personal? When and where?
- Discuss what your application is to this message