What Jesus Prayed for – John 17
- What is the best thing about your mom?
- What are, typically, the main contents of your prayers? Why?
- What caught your attention about Jesus’ prayer in John 17?
- How does it make you feel that Jesus prayed about your salvation and connected it to the glory of God (vs.1-10)?
- What do you think Jesus was praying for, as it relates to joy (vs.11-16)?
- What do you think Jesus wants for you, as it relates to spiritual growth
- What steps are you taking, right now, that might be an answer to Jesus’ prayer?
- How would you summarize what Jesus desires for us, as it relates to unity (vs.20-23)? Is that different than what you have normally thought unity to be? How so?
- What are some specific things you can do, to help bring and then maintain unity in our church?
- What does it mean to you, that Jesus wants to be with you in Heaven
- Discuss Augustine’s quote from the outline…
Pray Colossians 1:9-11 for yourself and others
WHAT JESUS PRAYED FOR
The glory of God (vs. 1-10)
- Through our salvation
Our spiritual protection (vs.11-16; Proverbs 18:10; Matthew 16:13; I Peter 1:6,8)
- Produces joy
Our spiritual growth (vs.17-19)
- A prayer for sanctification
- Read God’s Word
- Be accountable
Our unity (vs.20-23; Romans 15:5,6)
- It is about the truth and mission
- I commit to pursuing unity in my church
- Augustine: “In essentials, unity; in non-essentials, liberty; in all things, charity (love).”
Our reunion with him (vs.24-26)
- Jesus wants to spend eternity with us
A prayer for us: Colossians 1:9-11