“Blessings” – John 15:18-16:33
- What has the greatest challenge been for you during these days of COVID-19?
What has the greatest blessing been for you during these days of COVID-19?
- Challenge 1: The world will hate you
- Read John 15:18-25; 16:2,3
- How did the world show hatred toward those original disciples?
- How do you see hatred toward Christians today?
- Blessing 1: We are connected to Christ
- Read John 15:26,27
- How are we connected to Christ?
- What encouragement do you have from your relationship with Jesus?
- Challenge 2: You will be tempted to walk away
- Read John 16:1
- What are some of the things, today, that might cause professing believers to walk away from their faith?
- Blessing 2: We have the Holy Spirit
- Read John 16:7-15
- How does the promise of the Holy Spirit help us fight the temptation to walk away from our professed faith?
- Challenge 3: You will be sad without Jesus
- Read John 16:4-6,16-20
- Can you relate to the sadness of the disciples?
- Describe a time when you felt alone, and did not sense God’s presence
- Blessing 3: We can rejoice now, through prayer, and we will rejoice later, when we see Jesus
- Read John 16:20-28; 20:29; I John 3:2
- How can prayer help us rejoice?
- How do you imagine feeling when Jesus shows up to take you home?
- Challenge 4: You will have trouble
- Read John 16:29-33
- What is some of the trouble the disciples experienced?
- What is some of the trouble you have experienced in this life?
- Blessing 4: We will overcome because Jesus has overcome
- Read John 16:29-33; I John 4:4
- What did Jesus do to overcome sin and death?
- How reassuring is it for you to know that your victory over sin and death has nothing to do with you, and everything to do with Jesus?
Challenge 1: The world will hate you
Blessing 1: We are connected to Christ
Challenge 2: We will be tempted to walk away
Blessing 2: We have the Holy Spirit
Challenge 3: We will be sad without Jesus
Blessing 3: We can rejoice now, through prayer, and we will rejoice later, when we see Jesus
Challenge 4: You will have trouble
Blessing 4: We will overcome because Jesus has overcome