What is God’s Will?
- What is the most unique way, in your opinion, that you have ever tried to know the future or make a decision?
- What is one thing that caught your attention from today’s message?
- God’s will and His sovereignty
- God determines what happens in the universe
- Read Proverbs 16:33; Isaiah 46:9,10; Daniel 4:35; Acts 2:23; Romans 9:19-21; Ephesians 1:11 – and discuss how these verses inform us about the sovereign will of God
- SO WHAT? How should we respond to His sovereign will? Allow God to be God, and praise Him for His control of the universe. What would it look like for to you make this application?
- God’s will and our obedience
- God expresses His desire, and we choose whether or not to obey
- Read Deuteronomy 29:29; Romans 12:1,2; I Thessalonians 4:3,4,16-18; II Peter 3:9 – and discuss how these verses connect to God’s will and our obedience
- SO WHAT? How should we respond to this aspect of Gods’ will? Respond to God’s desires with humble obedience. What would it look like for you to make this application?
- God’s will and our decision making
- How do I make decisions in the will of God?
- Read Hebrews 1:1,2 – How can following Jesus’ example help us in God honoring decision making?
- SO WHAT? Make wise decisions
- Read Ephesians 5:15-17 and discuss why it this is important
- Include God in your plans – Read James 4:13-16 and discuss what this could look like
- Pray – Read James 1:5; I John 5:14 and discuss how prayer fits finding God’s will
- Search the Scriptures – Read II Timothy 3:16,17; Psalm 119:105 and discuss how the Scriptures help us with wise decisions
- Get wise counsel – Read Proverbs 11:14; Hebrews 13:17 and discuss how wise counsel from others can assist in decision making
- Make a decision – how does this message help you prepare to make decisions, confident in God’s sovereignty?
- What is one thing you will apply from this message and how?
Resource: Just Do Something by Kevin DeYoung, Moody Publishing, 2009